Thursday 3 April 2008

Reading, reading, reading

Quite by accident, long before I realised the significance of 2008 as the National Year of Reading - as in books rather than the capital of the M4 corridor - I made a tacit resolution last winter to become once more a serious, considered and reflective reader. What this means to me is: 1) Always finish books I've started; 2) Reflect on what I've read and review it on Amazon; 3) Join a reading group. I'm happy to say that so far I have honoured every one of these self-generated "qualifying" criteria, and am truly relishing my new literary life.

Of course I have always been a reader. My favourite outing as a child was to the library. I loved the smell of books and the feel of them in my hand. I loved being able to borrow three or four books at a time and stack then neatly on my bedside table.

Then through A Levels and at uni, books were my constant study. In English, French and Spanish I would pour over the text and then launch into numerous essays considering the style, genre, imagery, philosophical intent and historical context of what I'd read. It was a serious business - honest. At least I took it very seriously, and I can't help thinking that it has given me a smattering of wisdom, and a good ability to see things from others' points of view.

So all in all I think reading's good. These days I shiver with excitement (I really do) at the prospect of going to discuss the monthly book in the reading group. I've always been a bit of a snob when it comes to reading matter - I'm much more likely to be found reading Wilkie Collins on the beach than Elizabeth Gage - so I deliberately chose a group with a more challenging and arty reading list. It is very refreshing to be able to talk bollocks for an hour and a half each month with other like-minded lit-lovers, rather than enthusing to my otherwise adorable but totally unliterary hubby.

I've included a log of books that I've read so far, probably since November last year. My favourites so far are Howard's End, The Inheritance of Loss, The Great Gatsby and Open Secrets. And the list is growing...

No comments: